Saturday, May 24, 2008

May 24, 2008 part two

I touched my mustang!

I went out to Billie's pen (when I should have been getting supper started) just to check on things. When I finished my approach, she turned and walked right up to me (I was on the outside of the pen). She sniffed at me. I happened to have a horse cookie in my pocket, so I tossed it to her. She has no clue about horse cookies, although that may be why she approached. After sniffing a bit more, she turned to get back to hay munching.

I then walked to another side of the pen, and when I stopped, she came up again! And sniffed at me some more! I put my hand out, and she let me rub her muzzle. I offered up a second cookie, which she sniffed a bit more, then she gently took it with her lips. She dropped it and didn't go looking for it. Instead, she went back to the hay.

I walked around to yet another side, and she looked my way but did not approach.

I walked around the shelter (out of her sight) and to anther side of the pen (closer to her), and she approached yet again. I got to scratch her muzzle again and again. I made sure to end our contact on a positive, and left before she could get disinterested.

How cool is that?! I touched a wild horse today!

1 comment:

kirsten said...

She is really cute. Looks like you are going to do well with this! I had Riley unshod this week since he can't seem to keep his shoes on. Hopefully between walking around the pasture 24/7 and wearing boots for rides, he will get nice tough, mustang like feet! So far so good. Very little soreness.