Friday, May 30, 2008

May 30, 2008

Billie is much better already about not ambushing as we enter with hay or feed. It just took one day of "go away" practice and she seems to understand to not crowd when we say not to.

This afternoon I took a rope out to the pen with me. I let Billie sniff it and mouth it. She came at it from both directions just like a smart horsey should. I was able to use it to shoo her away and to direct her movement. She didn't mind it one bit in my hand; she sniffed at the coil as I held it and let me rub it on her muzzle.

Today she let me rub her on her star between her eyes! Whoohoo! It was almost as though she thought that felt good and seemed to keep coming back for more rubs. I really hope this means I'll be able to touch and rub her neck in another week or so. From there, I ought to be able to rub her all over with the rope and then work my way into "catching" her with the rope.

No comments: