Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June 3, 2008

Wow! I just feel so lucky to have won the lotto and ended up with this little filly! I am so very pleased with our progress to date. Now I can pet her on each side of her neck. This started by taking advantage of her eating out of the feed bucket while I hold it. She really didn't like it at first and would waggle her head, but she is non-plussed about it now. I still have to work on her manners so that I do not get ambushed entering her pen with feed or hay, but all I really have to do is wave her away.

I've been watching bits of the two mustange videos that came in the mail. Each has really good info even though at times the information is contradictory (of the other video, that is). I am really anxious to try a bamboo pole and hope for good results. I've tried to do a little bit with the lunge whip I have on hand, but the end that hangs down is a problem and worries the filly. And it is not really a lunge whip but rather a stock whip, so it is shorter and the hanging end is too short to be able to hold in check. I know, I could put a rubber band on it or something, but that might catch her hair.

It's interesting spending time with Billie. She seems content to have me in her pen scooping poop and talking to her. When I sit outside her pen, she often stands nearby, seeming to be waiting for me to do something. I can't wait to get more training under our belts so that we can do more together.

No comments: