Thursday, June 12, 2008

June 12, 2008

Today I picked up a 6 foot lead rope at the Tack Shop. When I went out to feed this evening, I clipped it onto Billie's halter while I stood outside the pen. Good plan. She was not thrilled about having a lead rope attached. She worked a bit trying to get at it with her mouth--I was afraid she would actually swallow part of the lead. Then she tried to get at the clip--it has kind of a long shank. Finally, she tried to get away from the dragging rope, but it kept following her. She stepped on it a few times. The first time or so she was upset, shaking her head. But she quickly figured out to stop and low and behold magically she was free. She also seemed to figure out where the lead was and would walk to the side of it as it dragged. Not sure I understand what that was about. After a few minutes, I unclipped the lead when she came over to see me at the pen side.

I clipped it on again (again staying outside the pen) when I fed her the grain. She didn't find it right away since she was busy eating, so I pulled the feed outside of the pen, which didn't please her. She paced around, and had to step on the lead a few times. She again figured out to stop and not fight, and then she was magically free yet again. After a few more minutes of this, I rewarded her good work by placing the feed back inside the pen and removing the lead when she was eating.

No comments: