Monday, August 4, 2008

August 4, 2008

Most days I can work Billie in the morning; some days I can add an evening session, too. I usually start out in the smaller pen with putting the halter on, doing a few backing exercises, then flex her head each side. Then I lead her out to the larger pen, which stays open to the smaller pen except when I'm working her. We get to practice a few more backs, then I make her practice being a good little pony while a mess with the gate between the pens to get it closed so we can work. Then I lead her around the round pen. We work on changes of direction, walking faster and slower, halting, etc. We again back a few times and do some head flexes and poll releases. Then I walk her to the center of the ring and remove the halter. Next, I send her out to the edge of the round pen and we start work again. She has to go to the left or right for a time or two, preferably at the canter, then I whoa her by stepping toward her path and then taking a step back. This normally slows her down, brings her head toward the center of the pen, and then I send her on in the new direction. Normally this works pretty well. Of course, some days go more smoothly than others.

Yesterday she was an absolute gem. Today, she kept offering to turn without my cues, which meant we both had to work extra hard! I would work to turn her and get her going my direction again. There was a lot of kicking up and bucking on her part today. But I think I did a pretty good job of staying tough and staying on task.

After running her around the pen a bit, when I feel like she's really with me and paying attention to what I'm asking of her, I will let her walk into the center for a pet (or sometimes a rest, and then we work some more). If she's done with this part, then we play follow the leader. I can get her to criss-cross the pen with me numerous times. This is really cool! What a treat!

After playing follow the leader, I will put the halter back on and then open the gate between the pens. Our next task is for me to send her through the gate "like a big horsey" has to work. She's pretty good at this. Today, we added a new game after: The stay out of my space game. For this game, I mentally drew a ring around myself. Clinton Anderson calls it a hula hoop. Billie had to stay outside the ring and keep her eyes on me. She was pretty good at this, better than I had expected. I had to bump her just a few times to either keep her from encroaching or to keep her attention on me. We had a successful few minutes, which I thought was terrific for a first time.

No comments: