Friday, August 1, 2008

August 1, 2008

These last two days have been pretty good ones, as far as the mustang filly is concerned. Billie was a little resistant when I led her around yesterday morning, but we worked that out. I think she was "testing" me, trying to see if I was really the big mean broodmare! In the evening when I worked her again, she was more compliant, and fine to round pen.

This morning I had time to lead her around and round pen her. She did okay and didn't question me too much, except to ask if she could stop, please. Another wave of the whip and she was back on her circle.

It is very nice to run her around a bit, then step back and into her path, and have her turn and slow down, change direction if I choose, or just stop when I say it's okay. She's easy to bring into the middle and then put the halter back on so we can lead around a little more, or just practice going in and out the gate being led.

I've got Matt Wilkie, my farrier, set to come out next Thursday to trim her up. She's got a funny splay of her left hind hoof going on. She's not wanting to go long cantering to the left and I wonder if the funky hoof might be part of the reason. I guess we will find out next week. Meanwhile, I'll keep getting her ready for his visit. I think if Matt treats her like Ghost, who is a weanie for trimming and shoeing, we'll be just fine. Matt is real fast with Ghost and doesn't make him have to put his foot up on the farrier post. Yes, I've tried working on this with Ghost, but it's an ingrained thing and he's a retired horse with back end issues, so I don't worry about it, especially since Matt gets along fine with him anyway. This will be Billie's 2nd trim ever, and the first one with me. She's super at letting me mess with her feet, but I wonder how she'll be with real work going on! Wish us luck!

No comments: