Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July 30, 2008

We are back on track!

This morning, I went out to work with Billie in the round pen, determined to really apply all I've learned through the years. She's a good little horse. I've been watching my videos again, studying my heroes, so I felt sure I could overcome this running at me thing that's been going on.

Wrong. That filly ran at me at least three different times, sometimes making two passes. It's amazing how this switch goes off. I'll be tap tap tapping the ground, tap tap tapping her rump, trying to get her to move (and pay attention to me). She'll take a step or two, so I let off tapping for a couple of seconds, till she puts her head down to munch more grass. Then I repeat the tap tap tapping. All of a sudden, she waggles her head and comes at me. Sure, I wave the whip at her, but she barely swerves enough to miss me, and sometimes turns to make another pass! Of course, I high-tail it out of the pen. I'm so frustrated that I let her do that, and I think I know what I did wrong, so I re-enter the pen. Starting again, confident that I can channel my heroes, I start again. The second time she "pretends" to play my silly game and runs around the pen once, then she makes for me again! I exit again, and really ponder what is happening. Is she wanting me to play? Is she showing me that SHE is boss? Of course she's boss--I keep running out of the pen! I sit for awhile next to the pen. Meanwhile, she flips the switch a few times (without me in the pen) and runs, kicks, and bucks at nothing. I am determined to not let her be the broodmare in charge, so I enter one more time. But I still cannot keep her from running at me.

I left the pen and called Beverly. I knew she would help me if she could. I knew she would be able to see where my holes in dealing with this filly are.

Beverly met me at the house this afternoon and after working with her for an hour, I feel like this is a task I can manage once more. She pointed out when I was letting Billie invade my space, pointed out where I need to be more firm. She took over for a bit. Billie only once time turned to kick at Bev, and she never ran at her. Bev worked her on the end of a line and then round penned her. Billie quickly understood that she was not the top mare in the pen. Then it was my turn, and I had just as good results in the end. I round penned her, I lead her around the pen, I backed her up, I got her out of my space, I even got to show off the Bev how great we are at picking up hooves! Wow! What a great way to end the day!

And what a great place to get to start tomorrow!

No comments: